Ombre is super popular so I decided to give it a try myself.
What you will need:
White cotton shirt
Rit Dye (liquid or powder)
Stirring tool (I used a measuring cup)
Salt (only if using liquid dye)
1) Mix proper amounts of Dye and salt to warm water. (I had a gallon size ice cream pail that I filled 3/4 with warm water, I used about 1/3 of the dye in the bottle and a 1/2 cup of salt...but the directions are also on the bottle.)
3) After 10 minutes place next section along with bottom section in the dye bath for 7 minutes.
4) Continue this process until at top of the shirt using time diagram above. photo cred here.
5) After dyed rinse shirt with hose outside or in a non staining sink/tub. Run the water on shirt until water runs clear.
6) Hang dry for 24 hours.
7) Wash alone in washer and then dry in dryer!
8) Wear and enjoy!
This is my shirt after being rinsed. I don't have pictures of the shirt finished but I have worn it lots and get compliments for it every time. My shirt came out more dye-tied then evenly dyed but I still like how it turned out. To get a more even dye I would recommend a larger bucket that is rectangle in shape so that you don't have to squish the garment in. I love dying clothing. So I defiantly recommend trying it for yourself!